Tuesday 15 May 2018

Learning From Experience

Bonjour!

What a week, what a week!!! We had so many cool things happen. It has also been beautifully sunny, so enjoyable!



First thing first, we get home to have dinner last Tuesday, and realize that we are missing our extra set of keys… someone mentioned when they think they saw it last. So after dinner, Sister Beauchat, Sister Karcher and I prayed and headed on a scavenger hunt. We bus all the way to the street, then walk for a good 20 minutes down the street at a brisk pace in the hot evening sun. By the time we arrive a the location we hope the keys are we are hot and sweaty, and our feet hurt. At first we didn’t see anything, however I believed that they were here so I looked under one car. And there, resting on the pavement, were our lost, now found, keys!!!

 We celebrated by walking across the street to get a milkshake 

which helped cool us off, before getting on another bus that took us directly home.
First chicken I have baked ...
... and carved
It was for a District lunch, which we invited President Pattison to.
Dinner with our neighbors again (it was Ahmed's 30th birthday)
They prepared a traditional meal–it was sooo good!

Preparing our gift for Ahmed



I’ve had three different opportunities to speak French this week!! Two were in the same day! I was invited by the other set of YSA (Young Single Adult) Sisters to a lesson with a young man that spoke French. Well to prep for that did my studies of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ en Français and put a French pamphlet in my bag. Well as we were busing somewhere, I started talking to this lady, and it turns out she was from Montreal!!!! Before parting ways, I gave her the pamphlet. Later that evening, at the lesson with Adama, I translated what he said from French to English. What I beautiful experience it was, one that I treasure. The other moment was on the LRT yesterday. I talked briefly to a beautiful young lady, from Africa she told me, about what I was doing here in Edmonton as a missionary.

Yesterday we went out tracting and one of the first houses we walk up to we talk to this young adult man from Colombia, his name is Carlos. We shared with him the story of Jesus Christ visiting the Americas and used the Book of Mormon map as a visual way to explain. We set up a return appointment for Friday this week.

Later in the day, I met an older man that had moved from Hong Kong many years ago. His name is Dave, and he had met Mormon missionaries before and has attended some of our church services. As we rode LRT, he asked me different questions about missionaries, such as: How many other missionaries live with you?, How long do I do this for?, How old do we have to be?, What I hope to learn from this experience?, and so on. I was sad to hear that he is getting a divorce, however I offered some help with his move, and he said that would be great and even asked about times for church on Sunday! We are going to be in touch later this week.

In answer to Dave’s question, “What I hope to learn from this experience?”, I have learned a lot so far. I have learned to use sweet boldness as I make the effort to talk to everyone around me. I have learned that the Lord puts people in our path for certain reasons, which can also help us develop and use our talents. I’ve learned time and time again that Heavenly Father guides this work, that He is mindful of me and of His other children. I have learned that my Saviour Jesus Christ can help me, hold me, lift me and comfort me when there is no one else to do so. I know that “[n]o one is more on [my] side than the Saviour” (Until Seventy Times Seven, Lynn G. Robbins, April 2018 General Conference). I know that this is true for all.

Lots of love!

Sister Tatjana Zumbach

No comments:

Post a Comment