Tuesday 11 July 2017

First week in the field

Hi Everyone!! I have arrived in Alberta!

Sister P and I got up at 3:30 am to check out of the MTC. We then had an hour flight to the Salt Lake airport, and after getting through customs, had about an hour before our first flight, taking us to Washington. After an hour to have lunch, and some delays with our flight we were back in the air to CANADA!!!!!!! We made it safely to the Edmonton airport. We had an eventful time getting through customs here as I was the only Canadian, and the other 3 Sisters and 10 Elders in our travel group were not, I just followed them through. I was asked to fill out this border paper, which turns out at another checkpoint I didn't have to do it... I felt bad for the Officer who was really confused and then realized that she had a Canadian passport. She had a good laugh about me following the crowd.

Once we were all done, we went out and met President and Sister Pattison! They are awesome! They brought us to one of the chapels where we had lunch, were introduced to Senior Missionaries, and had an interview with President Pattison. We were also brought out to do some street contacting–the first person we talked to had just moved from Ontario! We then were brought over to the Mission Home to have dinner, and a small devotional. At the conclusion of the devotional we took a picture and all 5 Sister were brought to the "Claire Close Castle"–special residence for the Sisters!

The following morning we were picked up to have breakfast at the Chapel beside the Temple (we took pictures with it). The next is the exciting part: we got to meet our trainers and get our assignment!!!!!!!!! So my companion is Sister Y, and we are serving in Cherry Grove. A little bit about her is that at the end of this transfer (transfers are every 6 week), she will have been out ONE year. She is from California, but has acclimatized to the Canadian sun and finds 24 C hot. She does not like the cold, rain or snow. However, she loves nature, reading, and tracting.

After assignments were made, we had a devotional where all the departing Missionaries gave some advice and their testimony. As new Missionaries we were then asked to share our testimony. After this we left and had a 3-hour drive to Cold Lake where our apartment is. Even though I was assigned to Cherry Grove, I did not get to see the hamlet until Sunday.

Over the past couple days I have found out that Missionary work is and is not what I thought it would be. My days are spent studying, planning, teaching people the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and walking and talking to everyone about Jesus Christ.

Hope you are all doing well!!

Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment